Registration Forms for the Regional Leadership contest are due January 18th “THIS FRIDAY”
Our region is bordered by South Tacoma, Puget Sound, I-90, and the Cascade Mountains. As such, we have 2 coordinators to serve you and your chapters: Adam Scroggins & Joni Bishop. We are currently accepting letters of interest for additional regional advisers.
Notes on Competitions: (See Contest Announcements at bottom of page)
Regarding Regional Level Contests, individuals may participate in more than one contest. A student may compete in (4) Leadership Development Contests or Occupationally Related Contests. Individuals may participate in as many Technical Contest that fit their schedule (Note: In the event the individual qualifies for state in multiple technical contests, they will have to choose (1) to compete in at state)
Regarding State Level Contests, individuals may participate in more than one contest. A student may compete in up to three contests. (1) Technical Science Contest and either (2) Leadership Development Contests or (2) Occupationally Related Contests. If not participating in a Skill Contest, individuals may participate in a combination of 3 leadership and occupationally related contests. Individuals may participate in only one Technical Contest.
The SkillsUSA competition theme for the 2018-19 year is: SkillsUSA: Champions at Work, Career-Ready Starts Here.There are two important dates that are coming up.
Region Split is official:
Over the last 3 or 4 years there has been a lot of planning and discussion into what we should do about the size, physically and membership, of the Puget Sound Region. At last year’s state conference the plan to split the region was voted on and approved. Teri Bravomejia firstname.lastname@example.org is the head Puget Sound North Regional Adviser, while I am the head Puget Sound South Regional Adviser.
The spit utilizes I-90 as the boundary between the Puget Sound North and Puget Sound South regions. There are a few school districts that are split or boarder I-90 which could make it ambiguous as to which region they belong in. Below is a list of these school districts, and which region they belong in.
|Puget Sound North||Puget Sound South|
The biggest affect this will have is on our competitions. Puget Sound North and Puget Sound South will have 1st, 2nd and 3rd place officially recognize, and will be separate entities during the selection meeting which determines who gets selected to go to state.
The North and South regions will be allowed to host competitions together or separately as long as scoring is recorded as North contestants and South contestants. An example of this is that the North and South regions will participate in the Regional Leadership competitions together and recognize 1st, 2nd and 3rd place from each region.
If there is an official contest in your region, you will not be allowed to go to the other region to compete. If you have any questions on this please contact Teri or myself based on which region you now belong in and how to host a contest.
This year I will be asking for anyone who has students who are interested in taking part in a Technical competition to notify me by Novemeber 15th to allow for enough time to set up a quality event. As you will see all Technical competitions will need to be held before Feb 9th so we need to get the dates and locations set early. Please contact me if you have any questions or comments. See attached documents on how to host a contest. The documents can also be found at (https://drive.google.com/open?id=1g-vG_6uk2xbLmdLeHIxCSxt5drSrlOA-)
- Deadline to notify Adam Scroggins if you are Interested in a Technical contest so we have time to organize it. November 15th
- CISPUS: November 1-3 Chapter Officer/Leader/Advisor Training-CISPUS Learning Center, Randle, WA
- November 15 1st Semester Membership Deadline
- Free incentive resource if you register 15 students and one professional
- students and one professional – Impact – activities related to SkillsUSA Framework
Technical Contests Will be scheduled to take place in January
- January 25th State Pin & Program Cover Design Submissions Due
- January 26th, 2019 – Pierce County Skills Center
- Information Technology Services 8:30am-1:00pm
- Computer Maintenance 8:30am-1:00pm
- February 1 NLSC Pin and NLSC T-Shirt Deadline
- February 1 Final Membership Deadline for State Competition
- YOU MUST BE A MEMBER BEFORE YOUR REGIONAL COMPETITION
- February 2nd Puget Sound Region (North and South) Leadership Conference – Pierce County Skills Center (9AM-2PM) (Tentative)
- February 9th Regional Technical Contests completed – Results due to Contest Coordinators
- February 26 State Contest Invitation List posted at www.skillsusawashington.org
- February 28 Advisor of the Year Application Due
- February 28 Chapter of Excellence submissions due
- March 1 National Membership deadline to compete at NLSC
- March 23 State Conference Hotel & Registration deadline (to be confirmed)
- April 25- 27 State Leadership & Skills Conference (SLSC) – Yakima Convention Center
- June 24-28 National Leadership & Skills Conference (NLSC) – Louisville KY
The following are the regional contests that have been officially announced and provided to the Puget Sound Region coordinators. Please note that this list includes the competition name, date, location and point of contact. Look for more information on these contests in the coming weeks. To view the detailed contest announcements please visit (https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/14-Bqg938X8qr8sorI3aNVLrducl3wH7F?usp=sharing) where you can view the documents.
Registration Forms for the regional Leadership contest are due January 18th “THIS FRIDAY”
New Announcements (See attached):
- Advertising Design: Glenn Walrond : email@example.com : 253 373 7345 : Kentridge High School : January 23 : 7:30 – 2:20 : RSVP by January 18
- State Drone Demo Contest: Contact Moe Broom firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in participating in the contest. There is no requirement for competing in a Regional contest qualifier.
Previously Announced Contests:
- Leadership Contest – RSVP Deadline January 25th – Pierce County Skills Center – Saturday, February 2nd — 8:30am Sign-in to 1:00 – Adam Scroggins – email@example.com
- Automotive Maintenance : Paul Ringstad : firstname.lastname@example.org : 253-285-6032 : Clover Park Technical College : 1-26-19 : RSVP by 12-19-18 : 7:30 3:00 : max Contestants 24
- Automotive Service : Paul Ringstad : email@example.com : 253-285-6032 : Clover Park Technical College : 1-26-19 : RSVP by 12-19-18 : 7:30 3:00 : max Contestants 24
- Basic Electronics : Frank Medina : firstname.lastname@example.org : 253-804-5154 x349 : Puget Sound Electrical Apprenticeship Training Center : 2-9-19 : 8:00-1:30
- Basic Health Care Skills : Elizabeth Dannen : email@example.com : (253) 683-5973 : Pierce County Skills Center : 1-26-19 : RSVP by 12-21-18 : 8:30-12:00
- Broadcast News – RSVP Deadline January 18th – Graham-Kapowsin High School – Feb. 1st – Feb 2nd – 8:30am Sign-in to 1:00 – Charlie Dees – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Cabinetmaking: Jim Wickens: email@example.com: 253-804-5154 ext 5041: Auburn Riverside High School: Contest 1-26-19: RSVP By 1-18-19
- Composites Manufacturing: Paul J Smith : firstname.lastname@example.org : 253-683-5950 : Pierce County Skills Center : 1-26-19 : RSVP by 1-18-19 : 8:00-3:00
- Computer Maintenance — Pierce County Skills Center – RSVP by January 18th – Contest January 26th – Sign in 8:45am – Email Ascroggins@bethelsd.org
- Computer Programming : Andrew Edmonds : email@example.com : 253.683.5959 : Pierce County Skills Center : 1-26-19 : RSVP by 1-11-19 : 8:30-1:00
- Criminal Justice: Howard Collier: firstname.lastname@example.org: 206-631-7329: Puget Sound Skills Center: Contest 2-8-19: RSVP By 1-31-19
- CSI Forensic Investigation : Joe Davin : email@example.com : 253-683-5950 : Pierce County Skills Center : 1-26-19 : RSVP by 12-20-18 : 8:30-1:00
- Digital Cinema Production – RSVP Deadline January 18th – Graham-Kapowsin High School – Feb. 1st – Feb 3rd – Sign-in 5:00pm – Charlie Dees – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Electronics Technology : Frank Medina : email@example.com : 253-804-5154 x349 : Puget Sound Electrical Apprenticeship Training Center : 2-9-19 : 8:00-1:30
- First Aid CPR: Gaudencio Merafuentes & Robb Lovre: Gmerafuent@bethelsd.org & Rlovre@bethelsd.org: 253-683-5989: Pierce County Skills Center: Contest 1-26-19: RSPV By: 12/26/18
- Information Technology Services — Pierce County Skills Center – RSVP by January 18th – Contest January 26th – Sign in 8:45am – Email Ascroggins@bethelsd.org
- Interactive Application and Video Game Creation : Andrew Edmonds : firstname.lastname@example.org : 253.683.5959 : Pierce County Skills Center : 2-2-19 : RSVP by 1-18-19 : 8:30-1:00
- Manufacturing Assembler State Competition (Demo) – RSVP Deadline January 25th – Boeing Company’s Everett factory – Feb. 23rd – 7am – 5pm – Terri Lufkin – (360)904-8578
- Motorcycle Service: Kurt Edwards: KEdwards@auburn.wednet.edu: 253-351-4815: Auburn High School Automotive Building: Contest 1-12-19
- Nurse Assisting : Elizabeth Dannen : email@example.com : (253) 683-5973 : Pierce County Skills Center : 1-26-19 : RSVP by 12-21-18 : 8:30-12:00
- Power Equipment Technology: Kurt Edwards: KEdwards@auburn.wednet.edu: 253-351-4815: Auburn High School Automotive Building: Contest 1-12-19
- Preventative Athletic Taping – RSVP Deadline January 18th – Pierce County Skills Center – Saturday, January 26 – 8:30am Sign-in to 1:00 – Phil Cappetto – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Television (Video) Production – RSVP Deadline January 18th – Graham-Kapowsin High School – Feb. 1st – Feb 3rd – Sign-in 5:00pm – Charlie Dees – email@example.com
- Web Design : Andrew Edmonds : firstname.lastname@example.org : 253.683.5959 : Pierce County Skills Center : 2-2-19 : RSVP by 1-18-19 : 8:30-1:00
- Welding – RSVP Deadline January 18th – Lincoln High School – Feb. 2nd – Sign-in 7:30am – Jarred Foss – Jfoss2@tacoma.k12.wa.us
If you are interested in participating in or hosting a contest please contact me ASAP so we can get the information out. If you are currently planning a contest, please fill out the contest announcement template and verify\replace all of the red text with your contest’s information. All contests need to be completed prior to February 11th and reported to Adam Scroggins
Thank you for all that you are doing for your students and SkillsUSA.